The Kinja Deals bot is a Facebook messenger bot that acts as an extension of the Fusion Media Group (FMG) Commerce team, which publishes editorially curated content about the Internet’s best deals and products to deals.kinja.com and gear.lifehacker.com. You can use the bot to be alerted to new deals posts that the Commerce team publishes.
The bot currently provides two subscription options:
1. The option to subscribe to daily digest alerts when the Kinja Deals “Today’s Best Deals” post is published to Kinja Deals.
2. The option to subscribe to any of 5 categories: tech, home, lifestyle, gaming, and media, which would provide the subscriber with alerts when a post to Kinja Deals that gives an overview of a deal in that category (here’s an example of a post you might get if you subscribed to tech alerts).
How do I initiate a conversation with the bot?
Navigate to www.facebook.com/KinjaDeals, and then click the “Message” button:
Once the message tab opens, click “Get Started” to begin interacting with the bot.
The bot will present you with options, and from here you can:
- Subscribe to daily roundup alerts
- Subscribe to alerts on products within any of these 5 categories: tech, home, lifestyle, gaming, and media.
- Unsubscribe from any alert type.
- Unsubscribe from all alerts at once.
- Manage your alerts to see your current subscriptions and optionally change them.
When you are subscribed to daily roundup alerts, you will be messaged when the Commerce team publishes their day’s best deals post (ex: http://deals.kinja.com/todays-best-deals-cookbooks-clear-the-rack-cold-brew-1798695906).
When you are subscribed to product category alerts, you will be messaged when the Commerce team publishes a post about a deal in that category (ex: you sign up for tech alerts, you get an alert for http://deals.kinja.com/keep-your-networking-gear-running-while-the-powers-out-1798703978).
How do I unsubscribe from alerts?
You can use the “Manage your alerts” option to make individual changes, or you can chose the “Stop all alerts” to instantly unsubscribe from all bot messages.
What to do I do if I need help or can’t find button options in the message thread?
Type “help” or “more info” to revisit your options with the bot chat.
Does the Kinja Deals Bot store my user info?
In order for the bot to function, we keep track of your messenger ID (which is distinct from your Facebook user id and not connected to your profile) as well as your timezone, so that know which options you are subscribed for and limit our messages to be sent only between 8am-10pm in your local time. We do not track personal info like name, photo, location, friends, posts, etc.